Child Passenger Safety
Program OverviewThe Child Passenger Safety program offers officers a chance to educate parents in selecting the appropriate child restraint and in securing the child in the vehicle restraint.
The program is a hands-on demonstration with the restraint system, and parents should allow 45 minutes to an hour for this demonstration. The service is only available to residents and an appointment is necessary. Please call 708-246-8540 to make an appointment.
Child Passenger Safety Technician Training ProgramThe officers attend a 32-hour program designed to educate them to become child passenger safety technicians. The standardized curriculum as well as the CPS technician and instructor certification requirements and process have been established by the National Child Passenger Safety Board.
After participating in the program, the safety technician is able to:
- Select appropriate child restraints and secure children in vehicle restraint systems according to child passenger safety best practice guidelines
- Install child restraint systems in multiple types of vehicles according to child passenger safety best practice guidelines
- Teach others how to install child restraint systems in their vehicles according to child passenger safety best practice guidelines
- Teach others how to restrain children in motor vehicles according to child passenger safety best practice guidelines
- Organize and coordinate a Child Restraint System Checkup Event
- Utilize appropriate resources to retrieve information related to child passenger safety
- Respond appropriately to legal and ethical issues related to the role of child passenger safety technician
- Serve as a resource to the community / state / organization relative to child passenger safety