Block Party Guidelines
Residents should adhere to all current IDPH guidance relating to COVID-19.
It is necessary for the Village to be aware of the date, time and location of a Block Party in order to provide for the safety of the attendees, as well as contingency plans, if an emergency arises in which the street on which the party is held would be ordinarily used for access.
Village policy requires that any block desiring to hold a Block Party obtain a permit not less than two weeks in advance of the event. The permit is granted simply by filling out the Block Party Consent Form and paying the $50 deposit (via check made out to The Village of Western Springs). The form must be signed by the neighbors affected by the block party and then returned to the Municipal Services Department at 740 Hillgrove (by mail or using the drop box outside Village Hall) with the $50 deposit.
The Public Works Division will process the permit and notify the Fire and Police Departments of the scheduled event. The $50 deposit is required for the orange cones and will be returned when the cones are picked up by the Public Works Department. On the Friday afternoon preceding the weekend event, the Public Works Division will deliver the necessary orange cones to a designated person for use during the Block Party. The cones will be picked up by the Public Works Division on the Monday morning following the event. Any further concerns should be directed to 708-246-1800, ext. 200.
Live Entertainment Rules:
- No live band or amplified music or public address system should be used after 10 pm.
- Consideration for neighbors should govern the volume of any amplified sound system.
- If the Police Department receives a complaint regarding amplified sound systems disturbing the peace of neighboring residents, officers will notify the block party host and provide an opportunity to turn down the music to an acceptable level.
- A second or subsequent complaint will require that the music or amplified sound system be discontinued.
- Failure to comply could result in the Block Party Host or person(s) responsible for the sound system being arrested.
If you would like the Fire Department at your block party, please call the Fire Department at 708-246-1182 to make the arrangements. The Fire Department will appear at up to 3 block parties per day and requests will be scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis.