- Sustainability Initiatives
Homeowners and gardeners considering landscaping projects can turn to the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District of Greater Chicago’s (MWRD’s) new Green Neighbor Guide for green infrastructure solutions that support sustainable stormwater management practices. The MWRD’s Green Neighbor Guide offers instructions and tips to implement various green infrastructure installations. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources and Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability also have a number of sustainability initiatives:
- Illinois Department of Natural Resources information about rain gardens
- The Cook County Department of Environment and Sustainability has established the Center for Hard to Recycle Materials (CHaRM Center). This new, permanent recycling drop-off facility officially is available to all Cook County residents. Accepted materials for reuse and recycling include: paper, plastic, metal and glas,clothing and textiles, Styrofoam, electronics and computers, and personal healthcare equipment.View the complete list of materials accepted at the CHaRM Center here: cookcountyil.gov/charmcenter
Learn about living a greener lifestyle!
The Village of Western Springs is pleased to join other communities around the country in an effort to encourage sustainable practices and preserve the environment. The Village recognizes the importance of government, residents, and businesses working together to address environmental issues in a collaborative manner.
Some of our green initiatives include:
- Styrofoam Collection/Recycling
- EV Charging Stations
- Organic/Yard Waste Collection for Composting
- Curbside Electronics Collection
- Leaf Collection for Composting