Westbound 47th Street has been reduced to a single lane through spring 2022, for ongoing work related to the Central Tri-State Tollway(I-294) Pedestrian Bridge Project in Hinsdale and Western Springs.
The contractor is installing an access road entrance off of 47th Street at Fair Elms. Please be aware of vehicles entering and exiting the access road during construction hours.
Learn more on the Tollway's project page.
For an overview of the complete Central Tri-State Tollway Corridor Improvement Plan, watch this video.
Below is a progress summary for 4550 Pedestrian Bridge Construction.
- Framed west abutment and wing wall forms
- Poured PCC for west abutment and wing wall cap
- Installed seeding and erosion control blanket on slopes near pier 2 and east path entrance
- Removed formwork at west abutment
- Mobilized into north side and cleaned out ditch and regraded along Mills Street
- Installed berm along Mills Street ditch
- Began placing furnished embankment near west abutment
- Installed embankment material on west side approach
- Installed topsoil, seeding, and erosion control blanket on Mill Street
- Installed fence posts, set posts in concrete and installed vehicular gate on Mill Street
- Repaired damaged cable at Brook Park
- Implemented MOT Stage 2C on 47th Street
Look Ahead work (all work is weather dependent):
- Install embankment behind east and west retaining walls
- Install soil ground anchors on east and west sides
- NB and SB I-294 will be shifted to the outside in mid-May
- Install temporary concrete barrier wall in I-294 Median
- Start installation of Pier 1
More information about this project:
Beginning Monday, November 1, westbound 47th Street between Princeton Road and Fair Elms Avenue will be reduced to a single lane, with two lanes remaining open on eastbound 47th Street. Traffic will remain in this configuration through the spring. On I-294, traffic in this area is currently shifted and will remain in this configuration through the end of the year. Traffic shifts on the Tollway and local road are necessary to accommodate for construction of piers and abutments for the new pedestrian bridge.
Electronic message signs and construction signage will be in place in advance to alert drivers to the
construction work zones and lane closures scheduled as needed on I-294 and 47th Street throughout
the project. Up-to-date closure information will be available on the Illinois Tollway’s Daily Construction
Alert. All work is weather dependent.
Read the Tollway's full media release here.