Storm Water Utility Fee – Phase II Underway
The Storm Water Utility Fee entered Phase II; the implementation of the utility fee into the community and the Village’s processes. The fee will provide a long-term funding option for payment of debt service for issued bonds approved (by referendum) for stormwater improvements and maintenance. The utility fee model represents an equitable method of allocating the cost of improvements and maintenance of the stormwater management system. Those properties that place a greater demand on the system, pay a higher rate. The fee generates funds by charging all property owners a stormwater fee, based on the property's impact to the stormwater system. A property's impact is calculated based on the amount of impervious area on the property (i.e. structures, driveways, walkways).
In Phase II, Village staff and the Village’s contractor, Raftelis, will includes complete the following:
- Public Education – Production and distribution of publications and resources via mail and the web. Creation of a web-based user-friendly map that the public can use to view the estimated fee associated with their parcels. Hosting of an open house event where members of the community can learn about the fee and ask questions.
- Data Collection – The detailed analysis of the impervious area for each parcel within the Village. Final review of expected storm water management costs in the short and long term.
- Stormwater Utility Fee Structure and Implementation - Final fee structure determination and financial analysis of debt service and fee funded project options. Review of potential credit/incentives for sustainable improvements. Creation of a Storm Water Utility Fee ordinance and adoption into the Municipal Code. Implementation into the Village billing system and staff training.
The completion of Phase II is expected to occur in late 2022. If adopted, the utility fees will be applied to the water/sewer bills in early 2023. For more information, please visit www.wsprings.com/stormwaterutility or scan the QR code below.
Stormwater Utility Fee Study – Phase I Presentation
Last year, the Finance and Public Works & Water Committees met jointly to review unfunded capital infrastructure projects. An estimated $30 million in critical stormwater related projects were identified with no existing funding source. The Joint Committee and Village Board directed staff to explore a Stormwater Utility Fee study and a Capital Infrastructure Plan.
The Village issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) for a Stormwater Utility Fee Study and the Village Board awarded Phase I (Feasibility) of the study to Raftelis in November 2021. Raftelis and Village staff presented the results of Phase I at the recent June 2022 Board meeting.
Stormwater Utility Fees have been adopted by over 1800 municipalities in the United States to fund these important projects. These fees are calculated by the amount of impervious surface on a property, for all properties throughout the Village. The utility model represents an equitable revenue collection method to provide funding for stormwater related projects and maintenance. Visit the Village website to learn more about the proposed Stormwater Utility Fee and to view the presentations to the Board: www.wsprings.com/stormwaterutility
The Village Board will continue to discuss this fee at upcoming Board Meetings. Village staff will also be available at the following community events to answer questions and provide more information.
- Gathering on the Green – June 24, 2022 on the Tower Green
- Ravinia in Ridgewood – July 9, 2022 in Ridgewood Park
Staff presence at future community events will be announced as information becomes available.
A dedicated Q&A Open House will occur this summer and details on that event will be posted on the Village website and on www.wsprings.com/stormwaterutility as they become available.