The holidays are a special and joyous time of year. It is also a time to be especially alert to the possibility of crime. As the holiday season draws near and our days get busier, we need to take extra care and precautions. Here are some simple tips that can reduce your chances of becoming a victim of crime:
• Never leave valuables in plain view inside your vehicle. Always remember to lock your vehicle doors and windows.
• Don't display gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway. Store gifts before you go away on a holiday trip.
• Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave home, even for a few minutes.
• Drive with extra caution. Allow an impatient driver to pass rather than escalate hostilities.
• Be cautious when giving out your credit card number over the phone and the Internet. Know who has access to your information.
If you go away for a few days, have a neighbor watch your house, shovel snow, pick up the mail and newspapers. Also fill out the vacation watch house request form at www.wsprings.com
and the Police Department will conduct periodic physical checks of your residence while you are on vacation.